2023 is beginning with an unusual climate which sees businesses having shortages of many different roles nationwide. After seeing so many businesses struggle through 2022 with staff shortages resulting in long work hours for the business owners and staff, we are looking forward to helping provide solutions for 2023.
Two stand out solutions are firstly to think outside the box and create an atmosphere and culture which retains your current staff, and secondly looking at recruiting skilled offshore workers.
Tools to help to retain staff could include:
- Employee engagement: giving employees the chance to give feedbacks and taking them onboard will help staff feel valued;
- Recognition and rewards: a points system where the worker receives points for meeting targets or goals can be a valuable tool;
- Onboarding system: create an exceptional onboarding system where new staff feel welcomed and belonging;
- Wellness support: avoid employees burning out by focusing on employee wellness; hybrid working if your business is able to accommodate this and chances to seek mental health systems offers are both helpful tools;
- Training and development opportunities: providing an employee a chance for growth and meeting goals;
- Creating a good culture: a good company culture goes a long way to keeping employees onboard, establish company values which all employees can align with and tie this into your products or services.
Regarding hiring offshore workers, we appreciate that the Accredited Employer Work Visa (AEWV) sounds complex, but at Trinity we have a dedicated team of Recruiters, HR professionals and Licensed Immigration Advisers who can make the process stress free. We can consult with you and create resolutions to fit your business needs.
It is important to remember that New Zealand is now 'competing' for skilled workforce globally. So if you, as a business, can gain advice on resident and family visa pathways, this will be helpful in attracting offshore candidates.
It’s a New Year so why not take it as an opportunity to explore new ways to recruit and retain staff. Let us know if we can help on your journey!